Click the plus (+) icon to see your answered question.

What is DLA?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a benefit that helps with the extra costs you may face if you’re disabled. However, it is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and no longer granted to anyone over 16 years old.

If you’re under 16, you can still apply for DLA.

What is PIP?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit paid to people with a long-term illness, mental health condition or disability and need extra help with the ongoing costs involved.

There are two separate PIP components – daily living and mobility.

Do I qualify for PIP?

You may qualify for either daily living or mobility or both PIP components providing:

You have needed help with your everyday living and / or mobility requirements for the last 3 months and your condition is likely to continue for another 9 months.

You are 16 to 64 years old

Your medical condition is not deemed terminal

You have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for a minimum of 2 years

What counts as PIP daily living help?

If you need someone to:

Do something for you
Do something with you
Remind you to do something
Watch you do something and keep you safe

This could include:

Making / cooking food; eating / drinking; taking medication; washing / bathing; toileting; dressing / undressing; speaking; reading / writing and dealing with money.

What counts as PIP mobility needs?

If you have a physical problem, learning difficulty, a mental health issue or a sensory impairment and need someone to:

Help you to move around outside your home independently
Help you to plan and make a journey

How do I claim PIP?

There are essentially three steps to the process:

Call the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). You will be asked a number of questions in order to confirm your identity and to find out whether you satisfy the basic PIP qualifying conditions. Once this has been established they will send you a form entitled “How your disability affects you” (PIP2) for you to complete.

Accurately and truthfully complete the “How your disability affects you” (PIP2) form, sign the confirmation declaration, attach a copy of all supporting medical or other evidence, for example, GP letters, therapist reports, visual impairment certificates etc, and send all relevant documents directly to the DWP.

Be prepared to attend an Assessment Centre for a face-to-face consultation, normally conducted by the healthcare professional assigned to your case.